5 Fun Facts: Getting to Know New Mahindra Driver Alex Lynn
Fans of the ABB Formula E World Championships and motorsports in general are by now familiar with the young Englishman that will be dawning the Mahindra merchandise this season. At age 27, Alex Lynn has been a professional racing driver since he was sixteen years old when he debuted with Formula Renault in 2009. Talented, handsome, with a likeable personality, Lynn joined India’s Mahindra Racing team this year and will look to improve on the team’s disappointing ninth place finish in last season’s Formula E standings. He will team up with fellow Brit, Alexander Sims, who also joins Mahindra Racing this year after racing for BMW Andretti last season. There are high hopes for Lynn this season as optimism around the new duo builds now that the Formula E season has officially started.
Here are five things you need to know about Alex Lynn!
- He is an accomplished long distance driver: That’s right, Formula E is not the only league Lynn is racing in this year. He recently captured the first overall position at the world famous 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance race in September when he drove for the Aston Martin Racing team in the Grand Touring Endurance Professional category. It was the fourth time Lynn has participated in the race and the first time he has won. Lynn also won the prestigious 12 Hours of Sebring endurance race back in 2017.
- He got his start in go-karting: It makes sense doesn’t it? Lynn started to race in karting at the age of eleven for Andy Cox Racing, a famous karting team in England that has been around since the 1950s.
- Many consider him the most versatile driver in the UK: It is hard to argue with this! Lynn has excelled in both single-seaters and sports cars, in single races, and endurance races, and nearly everything in between. His career highlights are of course the Le Mans victory as well as the 2013 Macau Grand Prix, where he remains one of the youngest drivers to ever win on that storied course.
- He considers Sam Bird one of his biggest rivals (and friend): In a friendly way of course. In a recent introductory interview with Mahindra Racing, Lynn said he would use the FANBOOST to catch up to Bird at the end of one of their races. While it certainly singles Bird out as a rival, it is also Lynn’s way of graciously complimenting the Panasonic Jaguar Racing team driver. The joke was particularly funny given that the two used to be teammates for DS Virgin Racing.
- What does he love to do when he’s not behind the wheel?: Lynn states on his personal website that his favorite vacation activity is to go skiing, rather than relaxing or sitting on a beach somewhere warm. He loves the fitness that is involved in it and looks forward to the offseason in the winter where he can hit the slopes and forget about driving for a little while.